Tuesday, November 17, 2009

More madness

Came across a thread related to my previous post about the "bird-flying-between-colliding-trains' problem, in which the author explains how to solve it by both calculus and physics. Many people who posted on the thread (most of whom claimed to be mathematicians or physicists) seemed to take exception to his view that "virtually all mathematicians who see this problem will try to solve it the way we just did."

This is one comment - "Mathematicians are trained to think outside the box, to always look for the most elegant question, and that every tool that they have previously learned in their lives can be used at any moment. Maybe you are confusing mathematicians with those who believe they know math (such as some teachers and plenty of college students), but who have just only memorized algorithms without understanding what they are doing. Anyway, I challenge you to pose this problem to real mathematicians and tell us what happened. I am one and did not think of adding the series for a second." (What clarity!)

I loved the thread; it felt great to refresh much-loved concepts of time and motion and browsing through others thanks to the pointers in many of the comments.

I want to agree with the author that the natural, instinctive way for the brain to 'think' is in line with the infinite series method, and it is heartening to see that there are theories built around this view, but Zeno's paradoxes were and still are considered 'counter-intuitive'. If this really were the way our brains are naturally wired, would these problems be considered paradoxes at all? Sure, they involve definite contradictions, but perhaps they are paradoxes because they disagree with the way most people think (which the author has honorably set aside himself in his proof), because most people would want to see the problem in a manner that reflects reality for them?

That thought leads me to wonder if the conceptualization of reality itself has something to do with it. For me, a visualization of reality would be the infinite series, so I have o agree with the author. Perhaps there are people for whom the instantaneous, intuitive response to a problem like this is in its depiction in terms of speed, distance, mid-points, and relative velocities, i.e., in the terms of the physical world. But I doubt it, more so with regard to mathematicians and philosophers (if I'm being naive or dramatic in using the two in the same sentence, do forgive the indulgence.) I recall reading somewhere that mathematicians in particular do tend to think in a manner of 'abstracted reality' which is rarely elegant or simple at first go. I believe that the elegance and the applicability of solutions comes only after at least one level of translation of the initial thought, which might well be an obvious and rather 'brute force'-like way of approaching the problem. A lot of math is very interesting, but useless to physics. And so it would be perceived by those for whom 'reality' is best described by physics. I would think that by the same argument, a lot of concepts of the physical world would be difficult to visualize for some people - Their thought process, even if they are not mathematicians, may lean more toward the glamorous abstraction of pure or speculative mathematics they might than the grounded stolidity of scenarios in physics or mechanics.

I realize that this is at variance with the general trend that looks upon mathematics as a means to many ends, as a tool to meet the needs of navigation, astronomy, physics, engineering, and so on in their endeavor to understand the universe. But as famously declared by someone (someone called Ulam, perhaps), "insofar as mathematics accurately describes reality, it ceases to be interesting." Thus may some minds gravitate naturally towards what seems like an 'interesting' method to them, and might seem, prima facie, like a difficult method to others.

Another comment on the same thread (simply hilarious :D) - "In one variation, the first train is being driven by a Norwegian and the other is being driven by a drunk. As a result, the bee can keep flying indefinitely: for norse is norse, and souse is souse, and never the trains shall meet..." Tee hee!

11 comments:

.. said...

nice points! I am also of the same belief that mathematics is more than just manipulation of symbols. Recently, I had to transform a function defined in space A to the one in space C. I could figure out an easy way to transform A to B and also from B to C. The problem with B-space was that after the transformation half of the space stands undefined. Working out a direct transformation from A to C was difficult too. I transformed the space from A to B and then B to C and to my surprise the final solution was correct and very well defined. Sometimes I do think if mathematics follow physical laws or physical laws follow mathematics. You can argue in both ways though.

Earthshine said...

Quite true. It is an open question, one likely to remain so. I think I have a penchant for debates that outside the scope of resolution. :)

skar said...

@Just: I don't understand what you mean by "if mathematics follow physical laws or physical laws follow mathematics. You can argue in both ways though."
Physical laws are the equivalent of mathematical axioms. Mathematics itself is a tool, which can be used to arrive at theorems in the realm of both physics and mathematics. The only difference is that physical laws are empirically evident whereas mathematical axioms are more arbitrary. Of course this has the flip implication that mathematical theorems are necessarily true but scientific proofs are only as good as the empirical law on which it is founded."

skar said...

As always, its been a pleasure reading :) No matter where you go and what you do, your posts just seem to be getting better! :)

Earthshine said...

@Karthik: I think physical laws should be considered the equivalent of mathematical proofs, and not axioms, because they are derived from axioms formulated empirically. Except they cannot really be, because physical laws are simply many empirical observations put together as a hypothesis, and then confirmed by other observations. Insofar as observations are 'perceived' facts, they are not absolute; if this is one's belief, then such observations would be the equivalent of mathematical axioms. That said, I agree wholeheartedly that scientific laws are only as true as the empirical axioms they are founded upon. :)

My initial question had more to do with whether we think mathematically or physically when we approach problems (which is, I maintain, an open question.) With regards to Just's question about whether physics follows mathematics or vice versa, I agree with you when you say that mathematics is a required tool in the realm of physics, while concepts of physics are not prerequisites for mathematics. (Hence, the 'purer' science? A science at all? It most definitely follows the scientific method, but can it be called a science?) The interesting thing, though, is that while mathematics follows physics in that it is used to understand the latter, it precedes physics in that it is stands independently and is 'required'(in that the mind must think mathematically) to understand physics - just as the the existence of the universe precedes that of our minds, and the existence of our minds precedes that of the universe for us.

And thank you! I hold your appreciation in high regard. :) (By the way, I've lost the address of your blog, mail it to me please!)

skar said...

This will be the final comment by me on this thread, independent of whether you respond to it.

I think physical laws should be considered the equivalent of mathematical proofs, and not axioms, because they are derived from axioms formulated empirically.

The law of entropy is an axiom.

Except they cannot really be,

they cannot really be what?

because physical laws are simply many empirical observations put together as a hypothesis, and then confirmed by other observations. Insofar as observations are 'perceived' facts, they are not absolute; if this is one's belief, then such observations would be the equivalent of mathematical axioms. That said, I agree wholeheartedly that scientific laws are only as true as the empirical axioms they are founded upon. :)

I encourage you to notice how subconsciously, but correctly, you've replaced my use of 'empirical law' with 'empirical axiom' and the meaning has remained the same to you :)

My initial question had more to do with whether we think mathematically or physically when we approach problems (which is, I maintain, an open question.)

I apologise I was only addressing the comments section :)

With regards to Just's question about whether physics follows mathematics or vice versa, I agree with you when you say that mathematics is a required tool in the realm of physics, while concepts of physics are not prerequisites for mathematics.

This is not my claim, and I don't quite understand this point of view. The way I see it, you have a foundation of claims (the basic working information for thought if you will), be they physical laws (which have empirical origins) or mathematical axioms(which are more abstract), and then you work with mathematical tools, taking these claims to be self-evident, to arrive at other theorems, proofs etc: I don't quite understand "while concepts of physics are not prerequisites for mathematics"

(Hence, the 'purer' science? A science at all? It most definitely follows the scientific method, but can it be called a science?) The interesting thing, though, is that while mathematics follows physics in that it is used to understand the latter, it precedes physics in that it is stands independently and is 'required'(in that the mind must think mathematically) to understand physics - just as the the existence of the universe precedes that of our minds, and the existence of our minds precedes that of the universe for us.

This whole part is total OHT (overhead transmission) for me :)

And thank you! I hold your appreciation in high regard. :) (By the way, I've lost the address of your blog, mail it to me please!)

http://s-kar.blogspot.com.
Btw, I totally forgot to call you when I was in India. I don't know if that is inexcusable. I hope you will allow me to keep in touch, nevertheless, so that at some day in the future, we will meet :)

Earthshine said...

Hehehe... having re-read my comment, I don't understand it very well either. :D I think the gist of it is that in the matter of math vs. physics, the matter is thrown out of the window, only words remain. :D

"...just as the the existence of the universe precedes that of our minds, and the existence of our minds precedes that of the universe for us."

This is fairly obvious I thought... has probably been said in many different ways before. Mostly in the vicinity the idea that the universe is a product of our consciousness, and the concomitant debate.

You already apologized for not calling :) Don't worry, I'm one of those people who would never hold 'not keeping in touch' against anyone - I frankly don't quite understand the concept. You can call from wherever you are sometime - a telecon is a telecon is a telecon, right? :) But yes, next time, we shall try to meet.

skar said...

Don't worry, I'm one of those people who would never hold 'not keeping in touch' against anyone - I frankly don't quite understand the concept.

That is just wonderful to hear! :)

I will call you this time (I can't assure you though that I will speak)! Send your number to: karthik.sivaramakrishnan@gmail.com

As for the universe mind thingy, I've heard of it(it has its origins in hindu philosophy after all), but I fail to understand it. I think it is a rather anthropocentric view, and very unconvincing on a lot of logical questions

skar said...

A marriage post perhaps? For the select few who still inspect your blog?

Earthshine said...

Unfortunately, many of my blog-worthy thoughts comes to me when I'm at work, and Blogger's blocked at work. I can only comment. Which isn't so bad, actually. Its nice to be writing, if it is drivel. :D

Been busy with moving house and all the concomitant headaches. Marriage is sweet togetherness and some baggage. Actually, lots of it. We don't know where to fit it all in - lofts, top of cupboards, what?

Earthshine said...

By the way, I admire your never-say-die attitude towards my blog (any other American traits you've been picking up? ;))

A comment from you now and again is more likely to get me writing about the banality of life than the banality of life itself, so here is gratitude. :)