There is this thing that I've seen the people in my
city do - a thing that I believe I am uniquely placed to observe (at least more
so than many of those in my circle of friends and acquaintances). This is
because my primary mode of transportation in Maximum City is the minimalist auto-rickshaw.
Why? Because I don't drive, because it is always there, and because the
convenience is worth the trauma to the spinal column.
I observe this thing that people do from my little
auto-rickshaw window (door?) on the left, sometimes sticking my neck out and a
little low so that I don't miss even a nuance of the show I am about to be
treated to. It is a delicate game that usually begins with the players forlornly standing on the sidewalk, waiting for the dealer, our dapper auto-rickshaw driver, to
bestow his kind favour on them. This, in Mumbai, can involve any of the
following or more:
- Trying to bewitch the driver by staring unblinkingly into his eyes and chanting powerful spells
- Pouting and making mournful, puppy eyes at the (possibly startled) driver
- Making as if one might collapse and fall to the ground any
minute with exhaustion
- Giving the objectionable contraption that is the auto-rickshaw one's best glare and scowl and hoping
that it gets intimidated into submission
Only those who show immense commitment to their craft
emerge victorious and secure the throne that is the hard, uncomfortable and
usually tattered seat of the all-powerful auto-rickshaw. So when I am one of
the lucky few, I take great joy in reveling in it. The icing on
the cake? That thing that the said person forlornly standing on the roadside
does. Since, in my experience, such a person is usually female (just a
statistic, no judgment), I will henceforth use the pronoun 'she'.
She does this - as her prospective knight in chipped yellow-and-black armour emerges onto the road from a morass of vehicular confusion, still a few kilometers away from her longing gaze, she starts waving her
hand, frantic and a not a little wild-eyed. One assumes that she is fervently praying that it is
empty, but soon will realize that there is someone sitting triumphantly on her
hard-won (and hard-bottomed) seat, and move the direction of her prayers
elsewhere. But wait! She continues to wave the frantic hand and do the
unblinking-stare thing almost with unbroken concentration, right up to the
moment when the auto-rickshaw with its rightful passenger in it is practically
on her foot. The waving does not stop even then - in fact, her face relaxes and
a light of propriety glints in her eyes that lock the rickshaw driver's bored
ones with an imperious look that says 'Step aside, coachman, so I may step
aboard my carriage.' Then, slowly, the stare turns into a confused and
increasingly horrified squint into the little window of my little auto-rickshaw
world. Still waving and peering, the look of slow realization creeps into those
now world-weary eyes that not only is the heedless driver showing no signs of
stopping, but there is actually someone sitting on that coveted seat! For those
last remaining milliseconds, hand still waving away, she reluctantly lets her
eyes meet mine, almost as if to persuade herself that I am just an apparition,
that there is still hope. She might even tear her eyes away to make one last
herculean effort, on one last beat of a broken heart, to miraculously compel
the driver to stop all of a sudden, shake me off onto the kerb, and let her
have what is rightfully hers. Most times, she continues to hold my gaze
wistfully, and with a now stationary hand still held in the air like a Nazi
salute, restrained by disbelief and denial, I see resignation finally conquer those
eyes. The hand falls to her side, and the face turns back to the unforgiving road.
In those last milliseconds, my amusement melts away
and I can almost feel her dejection. I always wonder what the expression on her face at that moment is likely to be - Anxious? Cynical? Hopeful? Optimistic? Confident? I know what
mine usually looks like, but that is my story, not hers.
Yet, there's one in a thousand journeys when, as my trusty charioteer and I are racing away to once again join the sea of motorized chaos, I am forced to
acknowledge life's whimsy - such as when the driver glances back briefly and then startles me with a magnificently
phlegmatic "Bas... maine socha ki dekhoon meri gaadi mein koi hai bhi ki nahin... ". In loose translation (with a dash of irony and a wry nod to metaphysical subtext) - "Just that I was beginning to wonder if there was anybody back there at all... "
4 comments:
Wow, this post is worth the wait. Perhaps, a wait more rewarding than that of the 'she' looking out for the yellow and black knight. ;)
Ha ha thanks much! :)
Nicely written. The title of the post though is a bit grand :)
:) Thanks. The title is a little self-indulgent perhaps... though it is exactly what I was left ruminating on this occasion, among many. Also, it possibly found its way there given some of the things I've been reading lately relating to the ideas of self and the human journey in Hindu and Buddhist philosophical traditions.
Post a Comment