The Famas experience was all in all quite pleasant. I spent a comfortable 24-hour journey with two funnymen, who couldn't stop laughing all through, and soon I joined in. I'm sure the bored looking individuals in our compartment must've thought we were off our rocker. Towards the last leg though, as one of the funnymen unfailingly reminded us every 5 minuntes, 'feel nahin aa rahi thi'. I got tired of reading magazines and fell asleep on half the lower berth, as I wont to when there is a huge bag right in its middle. Sampark Kranthi Express cheated us all, and got us to Delhi in 27 hours instead of 24. Got there in time to get my clothes pressed, catch a headache and run through the resources.rar that I had very wisely mailed to myself the neight before we left.
Delhi University has a sprawling campus, and the last thing you should do is ask someone where DU is. My driver seemed to be rather slow on the uptake, even I could stick to directions better than him! So ended up reaching there at 9 on the dot, but it didn't matter because we waited around for an hour an a half before the thing started. A good senior never fails to remind me, sarkari establishments will remain obstinately so. I don't think this place is half that bad, after all they do give out the results on the day the interviews end. Of course, that could mean that the selections are completely random, but I really doubt that that is the case. A college can't break into the top three with selections like that.
The GD topic *praised be the Lord* : "Despite India's 4-1 victory against Pakistan in the ODI series, the Indian attack remains insipid". :o was my expression when I heard it, and pretty much all through the discussion. I opened my mouth around 4 times, made some high-pitched noises about the temparaments of players and consistency and some other words that were floating around in my head, was heard probably once. In hindsight, it's probably a mercy nobody gave me a chance to get beyond those words. At least this way it seemed like I was trying very hard to get in and if only I had, I'd hace these profoundly enlightening things to say. Of all things, cricket. *Shakes head*
Anyway, despite the fact that the GD was a goner, I was surprisingly upbeat. Kept chattering away nineteen-to-the-dozen to everyone around, getting a lot of numerical info. from them, giving what little I knew, asking people what they were being asked. Most of them were being asked to speak about something related to their names in the extempore part. The guy before me (:( such are the cruel ramifications of unisex names) had the same name as I, so I knew that I wouldn't be able to rattle off the many greats who share my name. I was asked to talk abotui Sania Mirza's negative points, and it went on to women's empowerment from there. I don't think the guy knew what hit him. He countered once or twice with some blah about "...but this survey says otherwise..." and didn't give me a chance to tell him why his counter was invalid. I could've done much better though. Didn't capitalise enough on a purely opinion-based discussion on such a rich topic. Was asked for a quantitative estimation of the empowerment of women in the country, didn't give sound arguments before giving the figures. There was a lady there, so I felt quite comfortable being mildly feminist. Barely so, actually. The next question was "Name 5 Indian companies and their heads." Had to rack my brains, which switched for a while. By the time I came to the fourth I'd forgotten she'd asked for Indian companies and said IBM. That was the only major goof-up. She pointed that out, and I grinned and said sorry. That's it. That was the whole interview. Came out and continued to be chirpy, which I guess is indication of the fact that my gut feel was favourable. I'm sure half the guys there must've been doing everything they could to avoid me towards the later part of the process, what with my incessant jabbering. Funnyman1 and I, who were in the same panel, got through, as I found out this morning, and others, as it turned out, last night. Another classmate who was also in our GD disappeared in no time, because his interview was first. So anyway, tried to help funnyman2 to tie his tie before driver came, got it knotted up around my neck instead. Met the good senior, heard more from him about why I shouldn't join the college, and how erratic the profs. and the classes are, how the buildings and the hostels are in shambles et al. I guess after the pampered cushy life here, all other institutions are bound to seem like prison cells. What a spoilt bunch of kids we are!
Two down, one to go. Hope the bull run, if one can call it that, continues.
No comments:
Post a Comment