This poem is testament that in a lifetime cluttered with
actions and thoughts - physical and mental creations - it is never possible to
know what will live on past that life. It reaffirms the need to live as much of
life with authenticity as possible, because that which is created in even a
seemingly innocuous unit of time may be that which endures.
It is a poem written in 1932 by Mary Elizabeth Frye. A
friend had been concerned about her mother, who was ill in Germany, but had
been warned not to return home because of increasing anti-Semitic unrest. When
her mother died, the heartbroken young woman told Frye that she never had the
chance to “stand by my mother’s grave and shed a tear”. Frye, who had never
written any poetry, found herself composing a piece of verse on a brown paper
shopping bag.
Frye circulated the poem privately, never publishing or
copyrighting it. She wrote other poems, but this, her first, has been recited
at funerals and on other appropriate occasions around the world for 60 years.
Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s
hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at
night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there; I did not die.
No comments:
Post a Comment