Very nice movie, kind of the English version of RDB. Same concept of doing something visibly drastic to wake people from their slumber, but executed brilliantly and much, much slicker than a Bollywood movie is likely to be for a long time. Hugo Weaving does a brilliant job of acting through nothing buthis voice, a tilt of the head, a droop of the shoulders, a straightening of the back.. all the basics they teach you at acting school, but the bare minimalistic nature of his characted in spite of all the action sequences and the drama makes it fascinating.
I had no idea the Gunpowder Plot would be the core of the movie - I merely thought it drew inspiration from the idea of blowing up a symbol of power to change the state of things and adapted it to some kind of modern setting. But the way events, real and ficitonal, have been woven together, is gripping and eggs to discover newer levels in each scene, much like 'The Matrix'. There were small details which didn't seem to fit in, but knowing the Wachowski Brothers, I find it hard to believe that even those are irrelevant to the intricate fabric of the plot. I actually found myself waiting for the scenes with V in them. His body language was a pleasure to watch. Natalie Portman was good without being impressive. She hasn't yet found a wide enough range of expressions, improvised ideas to remote, and her dialogue delivery at times is quite forced. Still, I guess it's a step forward from Princess Whoever in Star Wars. (Forgive me, never been a fan) I just wish they'd avoided the melodrama at the end. Still, I guess it was nothing when compared to RDB ;) I don't get why it was to be watched on an IMAX screen. It was more the idea than the effects anyway. And the writing and the direction. Oh well. Guess consumers don't really have a choice, do they?
Two more exams will annouce the end of my B.Tech. provisionally pending the issue of a degree certificate. Then it's Ooty, then Kerala and then Delhi. In answering the Missouri question so many times, I've begun to understand better why I'm letting it go for the moment. Sometimes, you want to learn about things you don't already know about. Develop latent skills, and leave alone for a bit the ones that are alreayd fairly well-developed. So you don't restrict your learning in many areas for the sake of improving a few. Here I let go the chance of developing a side of me, that didn't exist before, the technical side. And so I'm stillpretty much at the level that I was when I first came here. Sure, I know how to handle computers, and I know about a few languages and tools and the like. But at the level of the mind, I'm no closer to being a techie than I was four years ago. So I guess the 'Four-year Transformation' never really happened to me. :)
There has been growth, though, in areas I would never have imagined. Facets that I didn't realize were a part of me came forth, for better or for worse. There's been mellowing.. a softening which I am grateful for. It's made me more flexible, more open. There have been times when I had to count on emotional strength rather than mental, and have come through. Times that I will look back at and feel proud. Times of intense confusion, and the subsequent clearing of the clouds, based on little but my own analysis, with gentle nudging from friends or family or both. Times that will be remembered, for better or worse.
No comments:
Post a Comment