Friday, January 19, 2007

While this feeling's still alive...

I didn't think there'd come a time when competitive quizzing would be fun for me. That means I didn't think I'd be good enough to experience the feeling of answering question and winning. Guess I have asitseems to thank squarely for diluting my antipathy towards information and hard facts. Look forward to the 2300 hours online quizzes that various colleges organize these days. Testimony to how little structured work I have, I guess. In college, the only course I like following is Management Science. Mathematics. What irony. But I think the second-time-over syndrome is quite strong with me. If I'd done an economics course in ayeayeayetee, I'd probably be more interested now. It's just easier to like a subject when you know that you've had a taste before and liked it then. Tautology, I know. But with so little that one takes back from a day of classes, some amount of rationalization is called for.

:) Started my day listening to Bryan Adams. After many, many years. Why do I like nostalgia so much? "There will never be another tonight", me trying hard to pluck those reluctant strings, Sim's loyal appreciation... up there in the list of good times. (she'd dutifully ask me to 'play' this song and "Heaven" and the others in my pitiful list, she particularly liked this one for being one of the peppier ones, I guess). Wish I could remember more from the time Shal used to teach me to play BA with a folded piece of paper as a plectrum, the days of sitting on the road in front of GH, days of strumming and lusty singing, me concetrating religiously at the way his fingers moved, going back to my room and practising, haring exclamations of "Oh! You play the guitar!" (Boohoo!). Manask and Prash were quite terrible at "Can't help falling in love with you" :) The singing of it, that is. With all the grimacing that I indulged in, it's a wonder how they didn't put a polythene cover over my head. It used to be a rare pleasure to hear the two of them jam.. never really heard the band jam together except on stage, nowhere as much as the new generation of Insomnia members, but they were the first people to make me feel of home. I'll always love them for that. Shal for introducing me to the guitar and affording me the treat of listening to him sing :) (I hope you're singing something aside from BA now, Shal!), Prash for asking me to take care of his six-string while he was finding his way around the USA, Manask for being the brilliant musician and the wonderful person that he is (wish I'd known him better)... Maybe Regi's right. Maybe it is not humanly possible to remember the not-so-nice times. It does make so much sense to try and feel happy all the time, because those very memories will make me feel happy at some later time in life. To know good times when they're happening... it is a rare gift. Or to feel that even illusions of sweetness, far away from the truths of everyday, are capable of making right here and right now feel like paradise. I might as well begin now, si?

No comments: