Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Ready with Rhetoric

I've returned to the scene of the crime after over a year today.

Something reminded me - and in the middle of a busy work day, I took a peek inside that dusty, abandoned corner of what used to be my favourite room in the house.

Believing myself to be something of a forensic banker, I noticed rightaway that my posting frequency over the years would make an apt graphical allegory for the turbulent economic times we find ourselves in today.



As such recessionary, or more fashionably speaking, 'de-celerating' trends tend to, this too begs the question - will things ever look up? Will the moneybags clink again? Will there be another 2005?

It's too early to say if this is officially a comeback, or whether there will ever be another bull run - a surfeit of volumes and value, feverish activty in the mental economy and excitement in the market of the traded word. Okay, I know I am getting carried away. It's been a while since I've played with metaphors, however banal. That's all.

Someone remarked today that I was always ready with words - in response, in agreement, in disagreement, in situ - reactions, opinions, hypotheses, conclusions, mild obervations and impassioned declarations. I said that the words were there to make the truth more interesting. He said - I rest my case.

However facile it may sound, now that I have been certified as ready with the rhetoric, and with my finally realizing that nothing I do is going to make a pea-sized difference to the economy or much else, it's not too presumptuous to hope for a tentative, benign 'uptrend' in authorial activity in 2013, is it?

No comments: