Thursday, October 13, 2005

Rejuvenated/ Disgusted

Yesterday was niceday. I went home feeling like my entire world was hanging upside down and staring at me, but then I met these two old friends, fron school and intermediate, like refreshingm breezes to remind me of the good times that had past. It was lovely catching up, especially with the one from school, who I've corresponded with even less than the other one. And not a little flattering to hear them tell me just HOW much cooler I've become since then. Well, they don't know anything! Even so, was nice. :) Ended up reaching home at 4.00 instead of 10 as I'd promised mom. She seems to have given up on me. Didn't register any surprise or emotion. Then told me later, she didn't trust some people in college because they took up too much of my time. I assured her that it was different people who had taken up my time that day. So she'd have to start distrusting a whole lot more people now. She'll probably start going berserk with the possibilities. :D

Read something about a lawsuit slapped on someone because he dared to express his opinion on the legitimacy of certain claims of a supposedly reputed b-school. He was sent a 'notarized' letter that can be called at best puerile, replete with as many threats their legal counsel could conjure up. For fear of being sued, all I'm going to say at this time is... WOW! Scaling new heights of ridiculousness.


Now for a sneak peek at the rationale of 'civilization':

The marriage of a minor girl above 15 years of age is not illegal if it is her free will and she cannot be sent to Nari Niketan against her will, the Delhi high court has ruled.

"The marriage was neither void nor illegal on account of the spouse being less than 18 years of age and being over 15 years of age," a division bench of Jusice Manmohan Sarin and Justice Manju Goel said.

The order came in connection with three separate cases wherein minor girls above the age of 15 had eloped and married men of their choice and the girls' parents had lodged kidnapping cases against their sons-in-law.

The bench quashed the first information reports and ordered the release of the three husbands, saying the essential ingredient of the offence of kidnapping, i.e. 'taking away or enticing away of the minor', was mising in these cases.

The court also ordered the release of the girls from Nari Niketan and allowed them, one of them pregnant, to accompany their respective husbands.

"The girls having reached the age of discretion had, of their own volition, accompanied the men of their choice," the court said, noting that, "Evidence suggested that the initiative came from them and they got married of their own accord and were desirous of living with their respective husbands."

Quoting from 1965 Apex Court verdict in S Varadrajan Vs State of Madras, the bench said when a girl, who though a minor had attained the age of discretion and was on the verge of attaining the age of majority, accompanied a man with the desire of being his wife, the man cannot be held guilty of kidnapping as 'the law does not cast upon him the duty of taking her back to her father's house or even of telling her not to acompany him'.

Really? The judiciary of India is going to tell a 15 year old's parents that she is an adult free to marry whomsoever she wishes to so help them God? A 15-year old's 'statement' that the man loves her, has promised to take care of her, that she loves him, that she wants to be married to him and take care of him and have his children, so please let him take me away and do what he wants to with me. Please, let's just go ahead and give that statement legal validity and strip the already threadbare fabric of civilization of whatever fragile connectors in the network that remain.
I

6 comments:

skar said...

Hey, you might just get a summons from the Delhi high court now because you dared to express your opinion on a certain decision made by certain people on a certain issue....and for fear of being sued...all i am going to say is.......:))

Earthshine said...

Confrontation.. mindless banter about someone's writing style or content that isn't going to change substantially, to prove inconsequential points.. potato, potahto..

I don't see the point in anon. postings. I don't even see the point in not knowing who makes such astute observations on my blog. ;)

A 15 year old is a woman in your dictionary? :) She is supposed to have to weigh her 'career' against a 'first love' and choose?

Sometimes argument for its own sake takes away the entire charm from dialectic, don't you think?

Hehehe.. yeah sk, I might. But I'm hoping the Govt. of India has a lil more sense than those guys.

agastyabhrata said...

In fact this SC judgement has put me in a fix. Earlier when I used to listen to early sweet sixteen love stories, I had the courage to say that it was these kids mistaking some attraction or some kind of mutual admiration or something to love.

This judgement quoted Byron, "But who, alas! can love, and then be wise?" - I seriously have no answer to that! Now I am wondering if I have seriously reconsider that though.

"tender love which is ignorant of all the world's filth might actually be true love"

Earthshine said...

I don't think it can... Buddhism has this philosophy that says that nothing can ever come out of nothing. I don't think pure love can just take bud in our minds out of our own innate 'purity and trueness' as humans, because frankly, I don't have that high an opinion of us. Love cannot but come from the filth of everdayness. If it survives it, well, I spose that's one more beautiful thing in the world. But some wise old forebear has said about marriage, "What's love got to do with it??" :)

I think it's possible to love a lot of people tenderly or otherwise at any age. Does that give you reason enough to get married?

Earthshine said...

Actually, I think Buddhism says not to get too attached to, too entangled in anything. I this it is very agnostic as far as 'true love' is concerned and doesn't in any way mix it up with wisdom. The elements are there, but far more important than concern for fellow men is the self, so Buddhism, in effect, is asking you to be selfish! Not entirey this or that of course, but nowhere has it said that 'true love' and a marriage based on it is the basis of salvation.Because really, it is the antithesis of looking out for the self. Giving up control over mind, body and life, or at least, part of it, to someone or something else. True love, along with everything else, is not removed from selfishness. There's probably has more of it there.

And hey, you're getting all mixed up here. I might be all for the romantic notions of love and marriage, I just think adolescents may not be as clued in to what constitutes a marriage as you think. Even so, I spose you are going to by experience, and know enough of them who would make brilliant marriages with other people, as you see them now! Or are/were/will be one yourself. As far as love goes, anything said is fair. It is incredibly subjective anyway. Although, I can tell you, it might work out to your detriment if you really are as idealistic about it as you make yourself out to be.

Earthshine said...

Sarcasm? You really want to try THAT tack, Ruchir?

from next time, maybe concentrate a little less on DI and a little more on english hun. It will do U gud. U will actually no what it is to make sum sense! :P