Who will people who are devious to the hilt at 22 be when I meet them a few years later? These are the budding leaders of tomorrow? I hate to go down this road again, but the sheer frustration of being in a place where I trust the intentions of nobody is beginning to get to me. I'm tired of holding back, of trying to second guess them. I don't want to be a part of a movement this messed up and hold its coat-tails everywhere I go in the future. They are the people I'm going to be dealing with in some god-forsaken corporation, aren't they? What am I to do... aside from... ignoring it as always, hearing one side and then another and turning away in disgust. Why do I let myself get drawn into political burlesques of people who care for little more than their pride? I don't fault them for self-interest - but I do despair, nine out of ten times in vain, at the amount of self-righteousness that can be mustered in the pursuit of a very obvious advantage over 'opposing' parties. I do not have the stomach to confront these people with what is a truth as clear as daylight to me, but an abstraction to them. It cannot be rooted out of the characters of a hundred students by merely talking to them. Or at least, I do not have the generosity of heart to take what will come to me in the event that I do so. I see taking on what I find wrong with this world an exercise of negiligible consequence to them, and of significant trauma to me. The exercise, as a planned move, is simple not worth the return on investment. It is probably not even fair to expect that I do, because the people I consider to be the 'practical, wordly-wise' ones tell me that this is how things are everywhere. This is how the business world functions, and hence it is only right that the art of deception is practiced in business school too. Will I have to be one of them to survive? How long will it it be before I will have to get out?
Guest speakers come and tell us - 'Trust me, don't ever think of entering the government sector. Get into private companies, make a truckload of money while you can, be appreciated by one and all, and get out when you're rich enough and satisfied enough with all that you have achieved for yourself.' Sage advice from a millionaire to a group whose collective wisdom equals 2200 years of neanderthal existence. I always knew that it was a dirty game, I still don't claim to know as much as some others as to just how dirty it can get - I just didn't see myself playing it. I still don't. I just wish that I could learn to ignore its existence and disregard its ubiquity once and for all.
3 comments:
I think systems are at fault. Individuals are only bit players. Over a period of time it becomes difficult for individuals to how the system is making them act. I would still start with the belief that people are good by default.
Why doesn't your blog allows anonymous comments >:(
Well, I think people have goodness in them by default, but I would use the phrase 'people are good' when I believe that they maintain that element in their thoughts and actions despite what the system tells them to do. Otherwise we're just puppets, aren't we? I say we because with all my big talk, I am resigned to the fact that nothing I think or say to myself is going to change the status quo. There is a widespread conviction among students and corporates alike this alpha-male mentality and aggressive outlook of 'do whatever it take to get where I want to get' is here to stay. One cannot hope to get through to anyone without there being a commonality of frequency - when one person is talking at a humanistic level and the other believes, perhaps rightly so, that a job is mission-critical cause, discussing ways to sensitise people is pointless.
Post a Comment