Sunday, February 13, 2005

Clap Clap!

I have a dog in the hostel now! I smuggled her in last night which is also when I fell in love with her. The guard was blissfully asleep, helping me in my misdemeanours. She's a teeny, tawny puppy. Someone showed her to me and said, "Gift for you!". Then I put her on my lap and she promptly went off to sleep. So I thought it would be criminal to leave her out in the cold and made a bed for her in my room. She slept for a while, and just when I was dozing off, woke up and started whining and generally creating a ruckus. I'm not used to be being woken up by dogs in my room here, so I was rather inclined to frowl at her and go back to sleep. Finally she made me wake up and ask my neighbousr if they had something to eat. True to habit, I left my door slightly ajar, and befor I know what, she's next to me at the door of the room at the end of the wing, and my friends are staring at her. After that futile adventure she followed me back and started playing with my shoes while sim and I talked about her future. All the time she kept making lil growly-whiny noises which woke the guard, and just when I was went :O because she had gone and sat on a lone paper on the corridor to shit, he took her away, paper and all. So I went off, mentally shaking my fist at whoever was responsible for two heart breaks in a week. I mourned my losses to whoever was online and went off to sleep hearing heart-rending cries outside the hostel. At 6.30 a.m, I was woken up by loud and demanding screeching outside my room, so I opened it and told her to come in, pumping a fist inwardly. She fooled around for a while, calling for attention but I was in no mood to cater to her needs. Half asleep, I open my eyes wondering what made her shut up, and I see she's gone and made herself comfortable in my bag of unwashed clothes. Amma should know about this. I picked her up and mumbled something like "Go back to your bed.. go, go." Authoritative voice and all. And she just went and put her head on her little paws and went to sleep. At least I think so. She might have stayed awake staring at the dustbin for a while.

At about 7.30, the guard knocked on my door and Lo! there was someone who wanted to see me. I went out bleary-eyed and found a cheerful trappy standing there. I had asked him to buzz me in the morning, before he went to class. Apparently he couldn't wait to see her, so he'd taken the trouble to walk all the way here. :P So I showed him my room window, went in and put her on the sill. Now there's two of us who're in love with her... :O He stood there enamoured, and every now and then we'd go like 'oh look! she's fallen asleep' or 'oh look! she's eating her own feet', not withstanding the fact that those two things seem to ber her main preoccupations at any time. Had to shoo him away finally to go get myself some breakfast and Scout some milk. Scout, the little spunky girl from 'To kill a mockingbird'. This one's not spunky yet, but I'm hoping she'll get there. She nosed her milk bowl too hard and spilt milk over her sheet and the floor and all and got a spanking and some yelling from me. Didn't spill her next round. I had work harder than I have in more than a week, mopping up the milk and shifting things around. Now my room looks like a pigsty. Then she took to sitting on the paper forlornly because I'd taken her sheet out to dry. I told her she'd damn well put up with the frugal infrastructure for now, what with her acrobatics with milk bowls and all. Finally I told her not to worry and that it would be back, and gave her my yellow, ugly toy dog Sunshine to play with. Now she's lying with her chin uncomfortably placed on it, with its high back as a pillow and one tawny leg over one stubby yellow paw. Amma's Teacher's Day gift has finally found a better purpose than being kicked about unceremoniously on my bed and the floor. Sim says now I have someone to shower my love on. Its nice to have someone who looks to you for comfort. Needed that in college I guess. Looks like my store of affection has not been drained dry after all. ;)

No comments: