Friday, May 20, 2005

Women! :D

My heart weeps when you tell me, love
That you drank alone tonight
I know how it feels to grieve
I know your sorry plight
I had placed my heart in your hands
Your calloused, sinewey hands
Hoping you would hold it gently
Hoping that the little inadequacies
You would pretend to not see
You used the things dearest to me
To make me feel unsure
You used the things dearest to me
To make the hurt grow more
All I did was be myself
I didn’t know you were keeping score
You said you were glad I was alone
Because I could be more yours
You were glad you weren’t alone
Because you didn’t need me
Like I did you, want me like I did you.
You called me weak, and so I was
I’d done nothing I be called brave
But I’d hoped you’d say someday
That you admired me for who I was
I still think you never liked me
At the risk of sounding a nag
I gave more to you than I gave myself
You told me I shouldn’t have
And then one day, my love, you said
You couldn’t give anymore
When in my heart I knew that meant
You couldn’t give at all
There it was, the final straw
In ominous black and white
Empty promises to make amends
You said a thousand times you’d try
All it would have taken, back then, my love
Is a bunch of gladioli.

No comments: